Self-Evaluation Speech Critique
Professor Reppert
SPCH 3123
24 April 2024
Self-Evaluation Speech Critique
This semester, I took an advanced public speaking class that helped me in my future career path. I presented four speeches, with the improvement being noticeable. Through my anxiety, I was able to pave through each speech like I do for the many speeches I have presented before. I have been a motivational speaker and author since high school, and this class helped me even more with my capabilities.
I learned my weaknesses through Professor Reppert’s writings that I struggle with vocalics (like, um, or ya’ know), a monotone voice, and the lack of looking at the audience. I feel like I have most certainly improved in all those things.
As a speaker, I can work on pausing when my brain gets overwhelmed so I do not use vocalics. I can also scan the audience during those necessary pauses. I can practice talking to others every day while not using vocalics.
I have seen much improvement in me this semester. The anxiety I first had, while still present, has lessened. I found it easier to stay focused even after looking at the audience. I also feel like I use fewer vocalics now than before.
While at first, I had much anxiety that I had to recollect myself outside of class, I now feel much more confident and knowledgeable in what I have to present in my speeches. My anxiety started at the Miss Southern Arkansas University competition during the interview and left in the classroom.
I am grateful for the opportunities I have received to practice public speaking. I believe it is imperative to share the struggles I have endured along the way. I will forever look at this essay and remind myself about how far I have come since then.
Comments
Post a Comment